Sunday, April 30, 2006

Identity Theft?

Well.....I had the wonderful experience on Saturday of getting my wallet stolen while at work. It was a fluke as there was only about a 10 min time frame for someone to get into the office and not be seen by all the techs and doctors at work. There were quite a few of us because it was a Saturday and we really weren't doing anything since it was a VERY slow day! Anyway...I had gone to Taco Bell at 4 and gotten something to eat and when I came back, my patient was back for the dilation check so I put my stuff down in the doctor's office (and my wallet back in my purse) and checked the dilation. That takes just a few minutes and then I was back in the office to eat. About 4:30, the other doctor had left and we had no one on the schedule, but I have to stay until 6:00 or so anyway so I said I was going to do a little shopping. I went to get my purse and realized it was gone. So...I called mall security and got it written up, called the police and they are sending a form, called Jason and he cancelled our cards. Already after about 1.5-2 hours since I know I had used it....2 of the cards had been used in Milwaukee, about an hour from us at a gas station (or multiple gas stations). I don't know of anything that they can do identity theft with because they don't have my SS#, but...it's still a pain. Plus, since we have joint cards, we don't have any credit cards to use until the new ones come. I didn't realize that I depended on them so much. The culprit got away with my $2 bill and my cards...plus my drivers license. So...I need to go get another one of those yet. I don't normally carry much cash because of that...I'd already been stolen from 3 times at work...but they just took the cash. I guess shame on me on not getting to the bottom of it or else demanding a locked area for my purse. The other times were quite a while ago and we thought the one who was doing it quit and we didn't have to worry about it. I still don't know if it was an inside job or a customer that went back there....can't be safe anywhere I guess. So..warning to all....clean out your wallet of anything that you can't be without and make copies of things or else have a significant other so you know what's missing! ;)

2 comments:

Melanie said...

Yikes...sorry to hear about this. What a hassle! Yes, I definitely think it's a good idea to copy the contents of your wallet at least once a year...you just never know. Hope everything gets ironed out smoothly (or as smoothly as it can go).

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your bad luck. Guess what I am doing right now...yep, you guessed it, copying everything in my wallet. Think I can skip my Piggly Wiggly Preferred Club Card? :)